How to Bond with your Dog
Bonding with your dog is a great feeling. It isn't only an amazing relationship, but bonding to your dog also benefits your health and well being. Bonding is important for both you and your dog because both of you will live a happier and healthier life. Bonds can develop naturally through your life with your dog as you two interact and live together. Dogs tend to bond with those that give them quality attention and affection. Dogs bond to those that give them stuff they enjoy and love, good quality food, scratches and strokes, games and toys.
Is my dog bonded with me? How do I know? Do you ever wonder if you and your dog are truly bonded? What does it mean to be bonded?
Here are some signs that your dog is bonded to you:
- Your dog will check in with you when off leash and in different environments. Your dog will be exploring and at a distance from you, but never too far away. Your dog will return to you during off leash walks and adventures just to check in.
- Your dog will have a strong recall. This means that your dog will quickly come when you call.
- Your dog will not dash out the door r and attempt to run down the street or to the neighbors. Your dog will also wait in the car until you say it is time to come out. Your dog will not try to escape.
- Your dog will place themselves in your personal space. For example, they may rest their head on your lap or on your foot.
- Your dog will make eye contact with you. Your dog will look at you in the eyes. Your dog may look at you for guidance in an unsure situation or when they are frightened. Your dog will make eye contact to imitate play or to try and communicate something to you.
- Your dog will miss you when you are gone and will show this by being excited and happy when you return. They will show you this by doing a happy dance, zooming around, wagging their tail, barking, and jumping up on you.
- Your dog will try to understand what you want from them, try to follow rules and attempt to understanding training. Your dog will try to please you by doing what you wish, if they can understand what you want from them.
- Your dog will snuggle with your belongings. Anything from shoes to bed sheets.
-Your dog will seek out your affection and attention by attempting to get you to pet and stroke them.
- Your dog will listen and respond to you. Your dog will listen when you speak and obey your commands.
- Your dog will relax near you, take a nap next to you, and fall asleep with you. Your dog is showing you that he or she is comfortable around you and trusts you.
- Your dog will follow you around the house as you move from room to room, they want to be in the same space as you.
How does bonding work?
A dog usually bonds to a person that they spend a lot of time with. They will especially bond with the person that fed them and took care of them during their first months of life during their socialization period. But dogs can form bonds at any age.
How to increase your bond with your dog
You can always improve or grow your bond with your dog, no matter your dog's past or your dog's age. This best thing to do is to, spend at least 30 minutes of focused, one-on-one time together every day. This time does not include regular walks or watching TV together. Your bonding time should be active and focused, something like training, agility, grooming, massage, or fetch. Here is a list of some ideas of quality time you can spend with your dog:
- regular play
- regular training
- be consistent and stick to a regular daily routine or schedule for walks, feeding, play, training
- hand feeding
- groom your dog regularly
- massage and stroking your dog
- make your dog work for their dinner. Have them perform a few tricks or just sit and wait for a few seconds before diving into the food bowl.
- Reward your dog with their favorite game or toy after a walk or training session.
- give regular belly rubs
- practice simple training, such as sit, stay or come, when out on walks. Keep your dog on his toes!
Training is one of my favorite and most beneficial for you dog. Don't think of training as frustrating and as a way to correcting behaviors, but as something fun. It is always important to be patient with your dog, especially during training. Stay calm and relaxed.
Training is a way to build your dogs self confidence by teaching your dog new tricks and fun games.
Whatever activity you choose to do, the most important thing is to remember to spend quality time together. Quality time means that you are mindful when your with your dog, don't think about other chores, to do lists, or other people. Focus on your dog. A helpful way to easily do this is to schedule something fun everyday, even a quick 5 min game of fetch! Schedule a time that you know your dog is the focus. With every activity, learn to understand and listen to your dog's body language. This will come naturally if you are being mindful and really spending quality time together. You will learn to know your dog, listen to your dog, and to respect your dogs likes, dislikes, and wishes. In return, your dog will do the same. Your dog will listen to you, respect you, and you will learn from your dog. You will form an amazing relationship with your dog.
Do you want to bond with your dog?
You're in luck!
Consider joining the FREE Bond with your Pet Challenge
With the Free Challenge, you can win some AMAZING PRIZES!
Participate in the FREE "Bond with your Pet Challenge" & join other animal lovers in a community.
You will receive support, inspiration, motivation
Plus! WIN PRIZES! & of course you and your pet will be on the way to some amazing life improvements
For 6 days (Oct.16th - 21st), you will spend at least 15 minutes of quality time with your cat or dog, during this time, you are mindfully interacting with your pet.
Join the Cherished Companions FaceBook Page.
Participate in the Challenge's daily post on the FaceBook page. You will comment what you and your pet did for that day.
Post a picture everyday of what you and your pet did that day on FaceBook OR Instagram. Be sure to tag @cherishedcompanions on instagram OR @ccpawfamily on FaceBook so that we can find it!
Bonus points if you post on both FaceBook and Instagram every day!
On Oct. 23rd the Winners be announced. There will be 4 Winners. Prizes: (Winners will be able to choose one of the following) - One 40 min Distance Reiki Energy Healing for your Pet - Animal Communication and Pet Tarot Reading - Cat Behavioral Consultation - Puppy Training Package PDF download right to your email - Painted Pet Portrait
Want even more!?
The animals that we share our life with are amazing. They give us so much love, joy, and greatly improve our own life.
Since my animals give me so much, I do everything that I can to make sure that I give them the best life possible! In doing so, I create an amazing bond with my cats and my dog! But it isn't easy. It takes time, effort and knowledge.
This membership makes it easy to ensure that your pet feels loved and is living a high quality life. This membership assists you in giving the animals in your life balance in mind, body, and spirit. When your pet is living in balance, behavioral and health* issues tend to naturally improve or reduce. *In no way does this membership replace or act as veterinary treatment or advice
What is this Membership? What's included?
At the beginning of every month, you will attend an online class, providing you with knowledge and techniques based on the topic of the month.
You will be a part of a community of like-minded pet parents to share with, learn from, and create great friendships with.
You will stay motivated and supported with all pet related topics.
You will create an amazing, strong, positive bond with your pet.
You will be consistently motivated and inspired with new ideas and activities to do with your pet.
Your pet will be on their way to becoming balanced in mind, body, and soul.
Your pet will be challenged both physically and mentally, ensuring quality of life improvements.
You will learn holistic and natural treatments for your pet.
You will gain an understanding in how to train your pet and improve behavioral issues.
This Membership is for you if..
You love your pet
You want your pet to feel loved and live a happy, high quality life
You want to learn DIY holistic and natural treatments for your pet
You want to grow and improve your bond with your pet
You want to play fun, new games and activities with your pet
You want to be part of a community of like minded pet parents
You want to be a humane pet owner, the ultimate pet parent
You are interested in the monthly topics! (topics listed below)
At the beginning of every month, you will attend an online class, providing you with knowledge and techniques based on the topic of the month. These are the up coming topics that will be covered throughout the year in no particular order.
Meditation and Reiki
Massage and T-touch
Enrichment, Games, Toys
Healing with Crystals
Healthy and Natural Food and Treats
Outdoor Adventure and Activities
If you register in full before November 5th 2018 you will receive:- A free communicative and tarot reading for your pet
- A free 30 min distance Reiki session for your pet
- A Bonus Surprise gift that you'll receive in December (during the holidays) surprise gift valued at $50+
- A discounted price of only $300
If you register in full after November 5th, but before December 1st 2018, you will receive: - A free communicative and tarot reading for your pet - A discounted price of only $315 CAD (Canadian Dollars) If you register in full after December 1st 2018, you will pay full price of $360 CAD (Canadian Dollars) Registration Closes for the year on December 31st 2018 midnight pst